The old graveyard at Loughinisland occupies a natural island in
Loughinisland Lake and now reachable by a modern causeway from the
west. The three churches among the graves are of different dates. The
Middle Church may date from the 13th century although there is
evidence that the walls were refaced at a later date.
The North Church probably dates from the 15th or
16th century and it continued in use until 1720 for both Protestant
and Catholic worship when the roofing materials were removed for
re-use in the Church of Ireland building at Seaforde.
The South Church is also called MacCartan's Chapel
and was built in 1636. It is a rectangular gabled structure about 7m
by 4.5m internally. It has a two-light eat window and small north
and south windows.